Savory Sausage and Peppers
My mother gave me the recipe for this tasty kielbasa meal that's loaded with colorful pepper chunks. I like to use a sop mix that adds a hint of garlic, but you can substitute other varieties to suit your family's tastes.
2-3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 each medium sweet red pepper, sweet yellow pepper and green pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into small wedges
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (1.2 ounces) herb and garlic soup mix
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, brown sausage in oil over medium-high heat.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. In the drippings, saute
- peppers and onion until crisp-tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the water and contents of one soup mix
- envelope (save the second envelope for another use). Add soup
- mixture, hot pepper sauce and sausage to the vegetables. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Serve with
- rice. Yield: 2-3 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 444 calories, 34 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 1,575 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein.