Savory Roasted Chicken
When you want an impressive centerpiece for Sunday dinner or a special-occasion meal, you can't go wrong with this golden chicken from our Test Kitchen. The moist, tender meat is enhanced with a hint of orange, savory and thyme.
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Carefully loosen
- the skin above the breast meat. Combine the onion salt, thyme,
- savory, orange peel and pepper; rub half of the herb mixture under
- the loosened skin. Rub chicken skin with oil; sprinkle with
- remaining herb mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a meat thermometer
- reads 180°. Let stand for 10-15 minutes. Remove skin before
- carving. Skim fat and thicken pan juices for gravy if desired.
- Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (4 ounces cooked chicken, skin removed, calculated without gravy) equals 197 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 267 mg sodium, trace carbohydrate, trace fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.