Savory Onion Corn Bread
My corn bread is sweet and spicy, thanks to hot pepper sauce. Serve it with chili after caroling to warm everyone up!
9 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; set aside. In
- a bowl, combine egg, corn, milk and hot pepper sauce; stir in muffin
- mix just until moistened. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking
- Combine sour cream, 1/2 cup cheese, salt, dill and sauteed onion;
- spoon over batter. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 425°
- for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center
- comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 291 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 521 mg sodium,