- Line with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for
- 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove foil; cool on a wire
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch,
- flour and salt. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of mixture into egg yolks; return all to the
- pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for
- 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the butter, lemon
- juice, peel and extract until butter is melted. Pour hot filling
- into crust.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed
- until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a
- time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden
- brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3
- hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 462 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 275 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.