Savory Italian Beef Sandwiches
Before leaving for work, Carol Allen of McLeansboro, Illinois often puts these ingredients in the slow cooker. "Supper is ready when I get home," she notes. "This recipe is also good to take to a potluck or family get-together."
10-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 10 to 12 Italian rolls or sandwich buns
- Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the basil,
- oregano and water; pour over roast. Sprinkle with soup mix.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove
- meat; shred with two forks and keep warm. Strain broth and skim fat.
- Serve meat on rolls; use broth for dipping if desired. Yield: 10-12
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 321 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 436 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.