Savory Beef Brisket
Caramelized onions give beef and carrots great flavor. You'll be surprised to see just how easy it is to prepare this fork-tender brisket.
12-15 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 2-3/4 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (5 to 6 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 small onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Lightly dust brisket with flour; sprinkle with pepper. In a Dutch
- oven, brown brisket in oil on broth sides over medium-high heat.
- Remove and keep warm. In the drippings, saute onions until golden
- brown, about 15 minutes. Return meat to pan. Combine tomato paste,
- salt and garlic; spoon over meat.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 1-1/2 hours. Slice meat across the
- grain; return to pan, overlapping slices. Add carrots. Cover and
- bake 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours longer or until meat is tender. Yield:
- 12-15 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 6 ounces equals 266 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 283 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,