Sausage and Lentil Soup
A field editor from Casper, Wyoming, Kathy Anderson suggests serving her soup with sourdough bread.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1/2 pound bulk Johnsonville® Ground Sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage over medium heat until
- no longer pink; drain. Add the next nine ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Add lentils. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70
- minutes or until the lentils are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings (2
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 145 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 732 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 10 g protein.