SERVED WITH buttered noodles and some fruit, this delicious, satisfying "meal in one" is easy to prepare.
The green of the squash remains true to color through the cooking process, so it's pretty on the plate. It's a favorite when I'm cooking for just the two of us. Linda Gaido
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 acorn squash (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Sprinkle with salt and
- pepper. In a large bowl, combine the sausage, egg, brown sugar,
- garlic and bread crumbs.
- Spoon into squash halves; place in a small shallow baking dish. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer
- inserted in the stuffing reaches 165°. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 each) equals 689 calories, 35 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 168 mg cholesterol, 904 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer