Sausage Sauerkraut Supper
With big, tender chunks of sausage, potatoes and carrots, this meal-in-one has old-world flavor that will satisfy the heartiest of appetites. "A co-worker often made a big pot of this for our office staff, and it always disappeared in a hurry," notes Joalyce Graham of St. Petersburg, Florida.
10-12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 4 cups carrot chunks (2-inch pieces)
- 4 cups red potato chunks
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh Polish sausage links
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the carrots, potatoes and sauerkraut.
- In a large skillet, brown sausages. When cool enough to handle, cut
- into 3-inch pieces; transfer to slow cooker (slow cooker will be
- full). Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings; saute onion and garlic in
- reserved drippings until tender.
- Gradually add wine. Bring to a boil; stir to loosen browned bits.
- Stir in pepper and caraway. Pour over sausage. Cover and cook on low
- for 8-10 hours or until a thermometer inserted in the sausage reads
- 160°. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 423 calories, 31 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 969 mg sodium,