Corn gives this dish a mildly sweet flavor that folks find appealing. When cooking for two, I divide the ingredients into smaller dishes for fast meals in the future.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3-1/2 cups (10 ounces) egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, green
- pepper and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink;
- drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir
- in the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in corn. Add
- noodles and corn mixture to the sausage mixture. Fold in cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter;
- stir in bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered,
- 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.