Sausage Breakfast Wraps
"I love breakfast burritos--but they're typically high in fat and cholesterol. So I created my own healthier version," says Ed Rysdyk Jr., Wyoming, Michigan. "Since my wraps freeze beautifully, they make an anytime meal. Let the sausage mixture cool for about an hour before assembling and freezing the wraps."
10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cartons (8 ounces each) egg substitute
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1-1/4 cups salsa
- In a nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer
- pink; drain. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with
- cooking spray. Sprinkle with red pepper and onion. Combine the egg
- substitute, green chilies and chili powder; pour over sausage
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until set. Break up
- sausage mixture with a spoon. Place 2/3 cup down the center of each
- tortilla; top with salsa. Fold one end over sausage mixture, then
- fold two sides over. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 breakfast wrap with 2 tablespoons salsa) equals 286 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 980 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat,