Sausage Bean Burritos
Like my mother and grandmother, I'm a frugal cook. I purchase meats in bulk, including sausage. This is one creative way I've found to use sausage in an evening entree. Our children often request these zippy burritos.
-Eleanor Chlan, Ellicott City, Maryland
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups salsa, divided
- 10 flour tortillas (7 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage, green pepper and onion over medium
- heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans, rice and 1
- cup salsa; mix well.
- Spread about 1/2 cup sausage mixture down the center of each
- tortilla; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese. Roll up and place,
- seam side down, in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with
- remaining salsa.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with
- remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is
- melted. Yield: 10 burritos.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 335 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 705 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.