Sausage 'n' Sauerkraut
Savory Sausage 'n' Sauerkraut comes from Robert Walker of Glen Dale, West Virginia. "Not only is it economical, it's delicious. I'm positive you'll serve it often," Robert says.
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 pounds fresh Polish sausage
- 1 can (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Mashed potatoes, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage until a thermometer reads 160°;
- drain. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/4-inch pieces; return
- to pan. Stir in the sauerkraut, tomatoes with liquid, celery, onion,
- green pepper, brown sugar and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Serve with mashed potatoes if desired.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 460 calories, 37 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 1,518 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.