Sausage 'n' Apple Baked Squash
This hearty side dish is perfect for winter evening meals and complements an assortment of meats. I clipped it from a newspaper years ago and it soon became a family favorite.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped apple
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
- In a medium bowl, combine apple, onion, bread crumbs, sage and
- pepper. Add sausage; mix well. Spoon into squash halves; place in a
- greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for
- 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more or until sausage is no
- longer pink and squash is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 233 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 269 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.