Sauerkraut Mashed Potatoes
Even people who claim not to like sauerkraut will enjoy this tangy side dish from Betsy Esley of Three Mile Bay in New York. She uses handy convenience products to make it as quick and easy as it is delicious. "It's also especially good served with ham or any pork dish," Betsy adds. "And the flavor is even better the next day—if you're lucky enough to have leftovers!"
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-2/3 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, milk, butter and salt; bring
- to a boil. Stir in potato flakes. Remove from the heat; cover and
- let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion
- over medium heat until tender. Stir sauerkraut into potatoes;
- sprinkle with onion and bacon. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 266 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 828 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.