Sauerkraut Beef Supper
When I was growing up, my mother made this old-fashioned dish to mark the beginning of fall. Her light-as-air rolls and creamy custard raisin pie were wonderful accompaniments.Carol Ann Cassaday, St. Louis, Missouri
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1-1/4 cups finely chopped onions, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- In a large bowl, combine the ham, rice, 3/4 cup onions, 1 teaspoon
- salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; crumble beef over mixture and mix
- In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, place half of the sauerkraut;
- sprinkle with half of the remaining onions. Top with meat mixture,
- remaining sauerkraut and onions. Sprinkle with sugar and remaining
- salt and pepper. Top with bacon.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 65-70 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 256 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 1,190 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.