Saucy Poached Pears
Need a healthy, showstopping dessert? These beautiful poached pears are dressed up enough to serve with the fanciest meal. “But they’re as light as they are pretty,” says Audrey Thibodeau in Mesa, Arizona. “And I can make them ahead for added convenience,” she notes.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 medium pears
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pistachios
- Peel pears, leaving stem attached. Place in a Dutch oven and cover
- with water; add mint. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- for 8-12 minutes or until pears are tender but firm. Remove with a
- slotted spoon. Refrigerate until serving.
- For sauce, in a blender, combine the oranges, strawberries and sugar;
- cover and process until blended. Serve with poached pears; sprinkle
- with pistachios. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 pear with 1/3 cup sauce equals 159 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.