Saucy Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts are extra special dressed up for the holidays in a mild white sauce and dotted with pimientos. Washington field editor Margery Bryan of Royal City shares the recipe.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- Cook the brussels sprouts according to package directions. Meanwhile,
- in a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in
- brown sugar, flour, salt, mustard and pepper until blended.
- Gradually add milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Drain sprouts; cut in half. Add to sauce and heat through. Stir in
- sour cream and pimientos. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 219 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 403 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 8 g protein.