Saucy Bow Ties and Broccoli
From Ogden, Utah, Kris Capener shares her secret recipe for getting the kids to eat their broccoli. “The tasty sauce and fun shape of the bow-tie pasta bring them back for second servings of this yummy, healthy dinner every time,“ she says.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces uncooked bow tie pasta
- 3-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute garlic in oil until tender. Stir
- in the tomatoes, broth, basil, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 13-15 minutes or until
- thickened, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, adding the
- broccoli during the last 5 minutes. Drain; top with tomato sauce.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup pasta mixture with 1/2 cup sauce equals 213 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 309 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.