Saucy Asian Meatballs
“This meatball recipe originally called for beef and pork and a different combination of seasonings,” writes Lisa Varner from Charleston, South Carolina. “I used ground turkey and altered the seasonings for a healthy, fresh-flavored sauce.”
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic, ginger and 1 teaspoon soy sauce.
- Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until meat is no
- longer pink.
- In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar, tomato paste, molasses,
- pepper sauce and remaining soy sauce. Cook and stir over medium heat
- for 3-5 minutes. Add the meatballs; heat through. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 meatball equals 32 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 89 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 fat.