Santa Fe Chicken and Rice
Cheesy chicken breasts are even more scrumptious served on a bed of tender, Southwest-style rice. This effortless meal from Debra Cook of Pampa, Texas, is ready in half an hour.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add broth and
- salsa; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice and garlic powder. Place
- chicken over rice; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken over; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until chicken juices
- run clear and rice is tender. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with
- cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro if
- desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup rice equals 462 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 814 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a