"My kids leave out at least one cupcake for Santa on Christmas Eve," shares Sharon Skildum from Maple Grove, Minnesota.
18 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) or 2 cups vanilla frosting, divided
- Red gel or paste food coloring
- Miniature marshmallows, chocolate chips, Red Hots candies and flaked coconut
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for
- cupcakes. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to
- cool completely.
- Place 2/3 cup frosting in a small bowl; tint with red food coloring.
- Set aside 3 tablespoons white frosting for decorating. Cover
- two-thirds of the top of each cupcake with remaining white frosting.
- Frost the rest of cupcake top with red frosting for hat. Place
- reserved white frosting in a small heavy-duty resealable plastic
- bag; cut a 1/4-in. hole in one corner.
- On each cupcake, pipe a line of frosting to create fur band of hat.
- Press a marshmallow on one side of hat for pom-pom. Under hat, place
- two chocolate chips for eyes and one Red Hot for nose. Gently press
- coconut onto face for beard. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.