Salsa Pasta 'n' Beans
This warm side dish from Laura Lunardi, of West Chester, Pennsylvania is well-seasoned with cumin, cilantro and salsa, so it adds a little zip to dinnertime. For people who like even more spice, it’s easy to change the salsa to a medium or hot variety.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- skillet, saute onion and yellow pepper in oil for 3-4 minutes or
- until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until
- Stir in the beans, broth, salsa and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until heated through.
- Drain pasta; stir into bean mixture. Sprinkle with cilantro. Yield:
- 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 370 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 806 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 14 g protein.