Salsa Corn Muffins
MY MOTHER was a great cook and loved to try anything new. At 89, she was still winning ribbons at our county fair.
We operate an independent-living retirement home. Mother helped out with the cooking, and these muffins were a frequent request from our residents.
-Pat Akers, Stillwater, Oklahoma
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons diced pimientos
- 4 teaspoons salsa
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder,
- baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the remaining
- ingredients. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill
- paper-lined or greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375°
- for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5
- minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: 8 muffins.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 198 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.