Salsa Chicken Soup
"You wouldn't guess that this quick-and-easy soup is low in fat," relates Becky Christman of Bridgeton, Missouri. "Since my husband loves spicy foods, I sometimes use medium or hot salsa in this recipe for extra zip."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese or pepper Jack cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken, broth, water and chili
- powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5
- minutes. Add corn; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,
- for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and corn is tender.
- Add salsa and heat through. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (calculated without cheese) equals 84 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 481 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 lean meat.