Here's a tasty twist on twice-baked potatoes from Carolyn Schmeling of Brookfield, Wisconsin. The spuds are stuffed with a rich mixture of potato, sour cream and smoked salmon, then sprinkled with chives. They're hearty enough to be served as a main dish alongside a salad or bowl of soup.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 medium baking potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces smoked salmon or lox, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons minced chives
- Scrub and pierce potatoes. Bake at 400° for 40-60 minutes or
- until tender. Cool until easy to handle. Cut a thin slice off the
- top of each potato and discard. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a thin
- In a bowl, mash the pulp with sour cream. Stir in the buttermilk,
- butter salt, and pepper. Gently fold in salmon. Spoon into potato
- shells. Sprinkle with chives. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 stuffed potato equals 307 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 820 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.