Salmon Corn Chowder
Canned salmon and frozen peas streamline the preparation of this hearty chowder. Shredded Swiss and cheddar cheeses, along with cauliflower and dill weed, add flavor to this appealing dish.Pat Waymire, Yellow Springs, Ohio
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups cauliflowerets, cooked
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) salmon, drained, skin and bones removed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt and dill until blended. Gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add
- the cauliflower, salmon and peas; heat through. Stir in the cheeses
- until melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with fat-free milk and reduced-fat cheeses) equals 230 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 558 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch.