"After my husband and I caught four large salmon, my mother-in-law combined several recipes to create this delicious chowder. She served it with a salad and hot fresh bread," says Cindy St. Martin of Portland, Oregon. "Now I make it regularly, too, especially for guests, who always ask for the recipe."
14 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 pound salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, combine the potatoes, onion and broth. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until
- potatoes are tender. Add salmon and bacon; cook over medium heat
- until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Reduce heat; stir in the milk, cream, butter, salt and pepper; heat
- through (do not boil). Thicken if desired. Yield: 14 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 199 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 638 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as