"Homemade croutons are a delight to serve with your favorite mixed green salad-or as a crunchy snack," suggests Fayne Lutz of Taos, New Mexico. Her well-seasoned salad toppers will set you back a mere 4 cents per serving!
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup cubed day-old bread
- Pinch onion salt
- Pour the oil into an 8-in. square baking pan; add garlic. Bake at
- 325° until garlic is lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add
- bread and onion salt; stir to coat. Bake 10-12 minutes longer or
- until the bread is lightly browned, stirring frequently. Store in an
- airtight container. Yield: 6 (2-tablespoon) servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 36 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.