Rum Raisin Sauce
Here’s a tart fruity rum raisin sauce from Elizabeth Halls in Courtenay, British Columbia that can make an ordinary ham steak or slice something to celebrate!
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 5 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract, optional
- 1 boneless fully cooked ham steak (1 pound)
- In a large saucepan, combine the raisins, 4 tablespoons water, orange
- juice and pineapple. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and
- remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into raisin mixture.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the
- heat; stir in extract if desired.
- Cut the ham steak into four pieces. In a large skillet coated with
- cooking spray, cook ham over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each
- side or until browned. Serve with raisin sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3 ounces cooked ham with 1/4 cup raisin sauce equals 237 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 1,451 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fruit.