Ruby-Red Rhubarb Soup
Even folks who don't care for rhubarb can't resist the sweet, tangy taste of this soup. With its eye-catching color, this dish is an attractive addition to any table.
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 quart plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a 2-qt. saucepan, combine rhubarb, 1 qt. of water and sugar; bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 or until rhubarb is
- tender. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Place in a blender; process until smooth. Return to pan. Dissolve
- cornstarch in remaining water; stir into rhubarb mixture. Bring to a
- boil; boil for 2 minutes; stirring constantly. Add food coloring if
- desired; mix well.
- Add a small amount of soup to egg yolk, stirring constantly; return
- to pan. Chill. Just before serving, beat cream until very soft peaks
- form; fold into soup. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 187 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 12 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.