"There's no need to brown the steak first, so you can get this main course into the oven in short order," relates Sue Call from Beech Grove, Indiana. The fork-tender results are sure to remind you of Swiss steak Grandma used to make, with lots of sauce left over for dipping.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds boneless beef round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- Hot cooked noodles
- Trim beef; cut into serving-size pieces. Place in a greased 13-in. x
- 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with pepper. Top with the onion,
- mushrooms and tomato sauce. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-3/4 to
- 2 hours or until meat is tender. Serve over noodles. Yield: 8
Nutrition Facts:Nutritional Analysis: One serving (calculated without noodles) equals 209 calories, 112 mg sodium, 68 mg cholesterol, 4 gm carbohydrate, 26 gm protein, 10 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.