- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine butter, minced
- rosemary, orange peel and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. With fingers,
- carefully loosen skin from the chicken; rub butter mixture under the
- skin. Brush chicken with orange juice. Sprinkle salt and remaining
- pepper over chicken and inside cavity.
- Place one onion and half of the apple inside the cavity. Tuck wings
- under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a
- rack in a roasting pan. Arrange carrot, celery, thyme, parsley, bay
- leaves, rosemary sprig and remaining onion and apple around chicken.
- Pour wine into pan.
- Bake, uncovered, 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until a thermometer inserted in
- thigh reads 180°, basting occasionally with drippings. Cover
- loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly. Cover and let stand
- 15 minutes before slicing.
- For gravy, pour drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring
- cup. Skim fat. Add enough broth to the drippings to measure 1 cup.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth;
- gradually add broth mixture and nutmeg if desired. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 7 ounces cooked chicken with 1/4 cup gravy equals 635 calories, 41 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 185 mg cholesterol, 695 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 44 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.