Root Beer Glazed Ham
For a unique spin on the traditional glazed ham recipe, try this Southern specialty from our Test Kitchen where the secret ingredient is root beer!Taste of Home Test Kitchen
15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 bone-in fully cooked spiral-sliced ham (7 to 9 pounds)
- 3 cups root beer
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Score the surface of
- the ham, making diamond shapes 1/2 in. deep. Bake at 325° for 2
- In a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a
- boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 30 minutes.
- Brush ham with some of the glaze; bake 30-60 minutes longer or until
- a meat thermometer reads 140°, brushing occasionally with
- remaining glaze. Yield: 15 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 6 ounces ham equals 338 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 2,097 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 38 g protein.