- vegetables are tender; cool slightly. Remove and chop garlic cloves.
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the broth, tomatoes, tomato
- puree, lime juice, chili powder, cayenne and cumin. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-35 minutes or until mixture
- is reduced by a quarter.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter; stir in flour until
- smooth. Cook and stir until bubbly and starting to brown. Slowly
- whisk into tomato mixture. Add roasted vegetables, garlic, beans and
- cilantro; mix well. Simmer, uncovered, until chili reaches desired
- thickness. Garnish with sour cream and green onions if desired.
- Yield: 24 servings (6 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 168 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 802 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.