Roasted Peppers with Basil
Roasting peppers yields a sweet, smoky flavor, and a silky texture. Mix in some fresh basil, and you have a titillating treat! “It's absolutely delicious, plus it contains less than one gram of fat and zero cholesterol,” says Tammy Landry of Saucier, Mississippi.
2 ServingsPrep: 40 min. + standing
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow pepper
- 9 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Broil peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 6-8
- minutes. With tongs, rotate a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until
- all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in
- a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred pepper skin. Remove stems and seeds. Cut
- peppers into 1/4-in. strips; place in a bowl. Add basil and garlic;
- toss to coat. Drizzle with vinegar and sprinkle with salt; toss to
- coat. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes before serving. Yield: 2
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 53 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 152 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 vegetable.