- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients;
- add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir
- the onion, sugar and seasonings over medium heat until tender. Add
- garlic; cook 1 for 1 minute. Stir in roasted peppers and vinegar;
- cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- Drain chicken if necessary, discarding any excess marinade. Using
- long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and
- lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat
- for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads
- 170°. Cut into 1/2-in. strips.
- Cut focaccia bread in half lengthwise; spread mayonnaise over cut
- side of bread bottom. Layer with cheese, chicken strips and pepper
- mixture. Replace bread top; lightly press down. Grill, covered, for
- 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into four sandwiches.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 sandwich equals 404 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 795 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.