Roasted Garlic Spread
Since garlic is so easy to grow, it's one of the favorite plants in our garden. This thick spread has a mild mellow flavor, making it perfect for topping any bread.Janice Mitchell, Aurora, Colorado
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 large garlic heads
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- Italian or French bread, sliced
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate
- cloves). Brush with oil. Wrap each head in heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15
- minutes. Cut top off garlic heads,leaving root end intact.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Squeeze softened garlic into pan.
- Stir in flour until blended. Dissolve bouillon in water; gradually
- add to garlic mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Serve with bread. Yield: about 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 tablespoon) equals 35 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.