Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
For a dinner accompaniment that hardly seems light at all, consider Nikki Dolan's creamy mashed potatoes. The Largo, Florida reader uses light cream cheese and plenty of garlic to flavor the rich side dish. It's destined to become a popular request at your home.
Although it was once thought to ward off vampires, today’s research suggests garlic has a laundry list of cardiovascular benefits inclu
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 6 medium red potatoes (about 2-1/4 pounds), cubed
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate
- cloves). Cut top off garlic bulb; brush with oil. Wrap in heavy-duty
- foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for
- 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with
- water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15
- minutes or until tender. Drain. Squeeze softened garlic into a large
- bowl. Add the potatoes, cream cheese, milk, salt and pepper; beat
- until blended. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 207 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 281 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.