Roasted Brussels Sprouts
"These mini cabbages are surprisingly big on flavor," notes Tina Repack of Johnstown, Pennsylvania. Although the brussels sprouts are very simply seasoned, roasting them caramelizes their natural sugars, giving them a subtle sweetness.
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen brussels sprouts, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut an "X" in the core of each brussels sprout. Place 1 in. of water
- in a saucepan; add sprouts. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Add the
- remaining ingredients and toss to coat.
- Arrange sprouts in a single layer in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking
- pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for
- 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 101 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.