Roast Christmas Goose
I have such fond childhood memories of Christmas dinner and my mother serving a golden brown Christmas goose. To flavor the meat, Mom stuffed the bird with peeled and quartered fruit that's discarded after baking.
White Stone, Virginia
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 domestic goose (10 to 12 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium apple, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium lemon, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup hot water
- Sprinkle the goose cavity with salt and pepper. Place the apple,
- orange and lemon in the cavity. Place goose breast side up on a rack
- in a large shallow roasting pan. Prick skin well with a fork. Pour
- water into pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/4 to 3 hours or until a meat
- thermometer reads 180°. If necessary, drain fat from pan as it
- accumulates. Cover goose with foil and let stand for 20 minutes
- before carving. Discard fruit. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 4 ounces cooked with skin plus leftovers equals 376 calories, 26 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 84 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein.