- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dash pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausages in oil until a thermometer
- reads 160°. Remove sausages, reserving drippings. When cool
- enough to handle, cut sausages in half lengthwise, then into 1/4-in.
- pieces; set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic and peppers in drippings until tender, about 4
- minutes. Add the tomatoes, lemon juice, basil, sugar, hot pepper
- sauce, bouillon, chili powder, pepper, thyme and 1 teaspoon salt;
- cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add to the cooked rice. Stir in ham,
- shrimp if desired, parsley and sausage; mix lightly.
- Just before baking, stuff the chicken with about 3-1/2 cups stuffing.
- Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; cover
- and refrigerate. Place chicken on a rack in a roasting pan; tie
- drumsticks together. Combine paprika, pepper and remaining salt; rub
- over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours, basting every 30
- minutes. Cover and bake 1-1/2 hours longer or until juices run
- clear. Bake additional stuffing for the last 40 minutes of baking
- time, uncovering during the last 10 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings (8
- cups stuffing).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 472 calories, 24 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 766 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 36 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.