Rich 'n' Savory Tomato Soup
“This has to be the best tomato soup recipe ever," writes Cindy Reynolds of Decatur, Illinois. "I serve it, or variations of it, at least once a week due to popular demand. It’s often the ‘first course’ for company.”
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 fresh baby carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup refrigerated nondairy creamer
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrots in oil until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Stir in the
- tomatoes, sugar, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender. Cover and process until smooth. Return to the
- pan; stir in creamer and vanilla. Heat through (do not boil).
- Garnish with basil. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 151 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 615 mg sodium,