Rice with Summer Squash
I don't usually create my own recipes, but this one passed my palate test. It offers a buttery flavor that those of us who are watching our weight miss at times. -Heather Ratigan of Kaufman, Texas
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook carrots and onion
- in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, rice, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 13 minutes.
- Stir in yellow squash and zucchini. Cover and simmer 6-10 minutes
- longer or until rice and vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 123 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 346 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.