Rice with Mushrooms
Convenient canned mushrooms dress up chicken bouillon-flavored rice in this easy recipe from Anita Miller of Sartell, Minnesota. "I used to prepare this dish when we were first married," Anita notes. "Now that the kids are grown and we're retired, I'm using it again."
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 can (7 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- In a saucepan, saute green pepper and onion in butter until tender.
- Add mushrooms; heat through. Stir in the water, rice, bouillon,
- parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 14-16 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is
- tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 183 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 973 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.