Rhubarb Strawberry Granita
Fresh rhubarb and strawberries make this sweet and icy dessert such a treat. You’ll love how quickly it comes together and that it’s prepared without any special equipment. —Christen Roye, Weatherford, Texas
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min.+ freezing
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup halved fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur or orange juice
- Fresh mint leaves and orange peel strips, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, sugar, rhubarb and strawberries
- to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Strain; discard
- pulp and seeds.
- Transfer syrup to an 8-in. square dish. Stir in orange liqueur; cool
- to room temperature. Freeze for 1 hour; stir with a fork. Freeze 2-3
- hours longer or until completely frozen, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Stir granita with a fork just before serving; spoon into dessert
- dishes. Garnish with mint and orange peel if desired. Yield: 8
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 128 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.