Rhubarb Steak Sauce
When the aroma of this sauce cooking wafts through the house, my family can't wait to grill steaks! I freeze this sauce in plastic containers, and keep some refrigerated in salad dressing bottles, ready for use. I not only use it on meat, but I'll also add a dash or two to some soup recipes.
56 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour + chilling
- 8 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until thickened,
- stirring occasionally. Cool. Refrigerate in covered containers.
- Yield: about 7 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 43 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 47 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.