Rhubarb Ice Cream
“I sampled a scoop of this unique flavor at an ice cream shop and knew I had to try making my own. So I raided my garden for rhubarb and added lemon and ginger. Yummy!” —Denise Linnett, Picton, Ontario
8 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + chilling Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- Place rhubarb in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle
- with sugar; toss to coat. Cover and bake at 375° for 30-40
- minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Cool slightly. Process rhubarb in batches in a food processor;
- transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, cream, lemon juice and ginger;
- stir in rhubarb.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according
- to manufacturer’s directions. Transfer to a freezer container;
- freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1 quart.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 325 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 25 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.