Rhubarb Dream Bars
Dreaming of a different way to use rhubarb? Try these sweet bars shared by Marion Tomlinson of Madison, Wisconsin. She tops a tender shortbread-like crust with rhubarb, walnuts and coconut for delicious results.
30 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour and confectioners' sugar. Cut in
- the butter until crumbly. Pat into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in.
- baking dish. Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes or until edges are
- lightly browned.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and remaining flour. Add eggs. Stir in
- the rhubarb, walnuts and coconut; pour over crust. Bake 30-35
- minutes longer or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
- Yield: 2-1/2 to 3 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 110 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 40 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.