"I've shared this recipe with many people who tell me it's one of the best beverages they've ever had," affirms Hazel McMullin of Amherst, Nova Scotia. "It's an attractive and fizzy refresher."
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 3 pounds fresh or frozen rhubarb, chopped (about 10 cups)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups lemon-lime soda, chilled
- In a Dutch oven, bring rhubarb, water and orange peel to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until rhubarb
- is very tender. Cool slightly. Strain through cheesecloth; discard
- Return liquid to the pan. Stir in the sugar, lemon juice, orange
- juice and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is
- dissolved. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- To serve, pour 2/3 cup rhubarb mixture over ice; add 1/3 cup soda.
- Yield: 3 quarts.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 0 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 0 carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0 protein.